What is a meta description?
The meta description is a form of meta data written in HTML which describes the content of the web page. The meta description is used to entice clicks from search engine queries which means the meta description needs to be compelling to users.
It shows up in search engines here:
Why it’s important
- A well-optimized meta description can increase your Click Through Rate (CTR) and more clicks leads to more clients.
- Without a meta description, search engines will create one for you, often times it’s not a good one.
How to change
Navigate to the page or post you want to edit and go to the yoast panel.
The meta description needs to be compelling based on the page content and perhaps even have a Call To Action (CTA) within it.
At Example Law Firm we offer FREE consultations for all Boston car accident victims. Give us a call TODAY at 555-555-5555 to schedule your consultation.
STOP! Millions of Americans a year pay for motor accidents that weren’t their fault. Our 10 step guide for what to do after you’re in a car accident will prepare YOU for an accident. Need help? Call 555-555-5555
Getting geeky – advanced tips:
- While the meta description can get up to 200 characters, the ideal length is 130-150 characters.
- The meta description is no longer a ranking factor, so don’t worry about optimizing your description for keywords
- The occasional all caps word draws attention. The best words to use for this engagement are
- FREE, YOU, YOUR, STOP, TODAY, NOW, SALE, ONLY
- Long meta
- Missing meta
- Irrelevant meta
- Every page should have a unique meta description
- Check the meta descriptions of the page 1 results for your keyword. What do they have in common? What’s good? What’s bad?