What is content optimization?
Content optimization isn’t about just stuffing keywords into a page. It is used to make your website page(s) more attractive to search engines as well as providing quality and relevant information to the reader.
Why is it important?
Having optimized content is important to build trust, establish authority, create quality, and to produce a call to action (CTA).
The key to successful content optimization is creating the perfect theme for the practice area you want to promote.
Where does it start?
Perfect content optimization starts with a great page layout. If you don’t include enough quality information on your page, it’s going to be difficult to rank that page. When having content written, it’s important to ask, “How could I make this the most authoritative* page on the Internet for this particular topic?”
*Note: Authoritative pages means it is comprehensive, credible, and has a strong theme.
The next thing we want to do is establish a strong theme around a particular topic. A way you can do this is to search Google for your practice area you are writing about and to find some relevant keywords that should be used on the page.
Beginning your research
After you’ve done some searching in Google, now you want to start your research on how to create the best practice area page imaginable. These pages are only built once, and will be updated every so often, so it’s important to build your page right the first time.
Google is an excellent tool to see what people want to see and if you write about the keywords people are looking for, Google will recognize that and rank you.
Here is an example at the bottom of your Google search (if you were searching car accident attorney) that will be helpful to you to use as a reference:
You found keywords to use. Now what?
Now you put all that information you found into the content you will write or have written. Go to the dashboard from your site and click to add a new page. If you already have a page written before you saw this, go through the content you have and see if you use any of the keywords from the Google search.
If you have not already written the page, make sure you include them in the content you are about to write.
If we look at the screenshot above, we can see people are asking about car accident lawyer fees, free consultations, lawyers near them, and much more. An example of this would be a heading that says: “No Win No Fee Guarantee.” If applicable, you could include this in a small section of your page explaining that if you don’t win their case, they don’t have a fee. Google would recognize it and would suggest that page to people who search “car accident lawyer fees.”
If you’re using WordPress and have the Yoast SEO plugin installed, you’ll be able to change your title tag as well. Your heading may say “New York City Motorcycle Accident Attorney” so you may change your title tag to “NYC Motorcycle Injury Lawyer” so that multiple keywords are being picked up by Google.
Note: Do not bold more than one keyword phrase in your page, else it could seem as if you are keyword stuffing and that is not the goal.
Keyword stuffing is using the same words over and over again to try to get ranked for that specific keyword — Google doesn’t like that. Instead, use variations of those words. For example:
- NYC motorcycle accident lawyer/attorney/law firm
- New York City motorcycle accident lawyers/attorneys/law firm
- NYC motorcycle injury lawyer
- NYC biker injury lawyer
- Biker injury attorneys in NYC/New York City
- Motorcycle accident lawyers in New York City
The last thing to do is search your content for those variations of words. You can do this by clicking CTRL + F (Windows) or CMD + F (Mac). Maybe you only used attorney once, but used lawyer three times, you will know to make adjustments and this is the time to do so.
1500 Word – The Perfect Page Layout
- 300-400 words about the practice area and firm
- 1-2 testimonials (video or written / specific to the practice area is ideal)
- 5-10 sub practice areas that each have about 50 words listed
- 6-10 FAQ’s (50-100 word answers are fine)
- 150-350 final call to action and info about the firm (Why choose us?)
750 Words – The Perfect Page Layout
- 300 words about the practice area and firm
- 1 testimonial (video or written / specific to the practice area is ideal)
- 5-10 sub practice areas listed as bullet points
- 4-6 FAQs (50-100 word answers are fine)
- 150-250 final call to action and info about the firm (Why choose us?)
- Once finished, request that Google recrawl your website
- Make sure that your content is useful to your audience
- Your content should teach the reader instead of selling
- Over-optimizing – it is crucial to mix up your keywords throughout your content
- Not doing proper keyword research and planning
- Not optimizing your images